Job Description: Superintendent of the Lynnfield Center Water District
The Superintendent of the Lynnfield Center Water District is responsible for operation of an independent municipal public water supply system with approximately 2,700 connections. This position reports to the elected LCWD Board of Water Commissioners. In general, the Superintendent will plan, supervise and oversee day-to–day operations of the District’s water supply, well fields, treatment facilities, pumping stations and related facilities. Duties include:
- supervising 5 to 7 employees, ensuring that water sources, treatment and distribution systems, pumping stations and storage facilities operate in compliance with all state and federal requirements, including inspection, sampling, records keeping and reporting;
- troubleshooting equipment and system problems using SCADA system to monitor and optimize system performance;
- preparing and as needed revising written work procedures, emergency plans and other related documents, as well as communication of expected standards of operation to team;
- seek cost estimates for goods and services observing municipal procurement practices as mandated by the state statutes as well as hiring technical consultants as needed; supervise implementation of cross-connection, conservation, rebate and other programs as directed by the Board; and
- maintain good working relationships with elected town officials, other local agencies and the public.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field, and considerable experience in water treatment and distribution operations and management, with at least 10 years of experience of directly responsible charge of ground-water supply, treatment, and distribution facilities. Combination of education and experience will be considered. Desirable certifications and licenses include, possession of full Massachusetts Drinking Water Class 2T Treatment and full 2D Distribution License, and Hoisting Engineer License Grade 2B or higher. Working knowledge of the Safe Drinking Water Act and applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations regarding public water supply, storage, and distribution systems is essential.
Knowledge and Background
Exhibits a knowledge of the principles and practices of water supply, treatment and distribution system operation, and thorough understanding of operational issues of an independent municipal public water supply. Demonstrated experience with financial management including budget preparation and management, contract management, water system billing software, and payroll accounting. Demonstrated leadership qualities and knowledge necessary to direct water treatment, distribution personnel and administrative personnel in the operation of all LCWD facilities.
The successful candidate will lead the LCWD through a period of transition that may include consideration of supplemental supplies and treatment systems, evaluation of a new rate structure, and review of existing administrative procedures.
Resume and cover letter must be submitted by May 7, 2019 in a sealed envelope addressed to Personnel Manager written in the lower left hand corner.
Please mail your resume and cover letter to:
Lynnfield Center Water District
83 Phillips Road
Lynnfield, MA 01940