Please note: Due to the roll back of the 2018 water rates, if you were issued a Final Bill for the sale of your home in December or January, please contact the office as you may be due a refund.
The Board of Water Commissioners periodically reviews and sets the rates charged to customers for the purchase of water and various services provided by the District. The most recent review was announced in the 2014 water statements and was conducted from October 2014 through August 2015 during regularly scheduled Board meetings open to public input. Following are the water rates established for the 2015 statement period, the first increase in ten years, and will remain in effect until further notice.
- Statements are issued twice per year (June and December).
- All customers pay an annual service connection fee of $60 billed on their summer statement.
- The annual water purchase cost is calculated in detail on the winter statement for the gallons purchased, that is, the difference between the November meter readings of the prior year and the current year. The cost of the water is calculated using the below tiered rate table.
- For example: if the November 2014 reading was 167,000 gallons and the November 2015 reading was 239,000 gallons, there were 72,000 gallons of water purchased for the year. Using the table below, the first 30,000 gallons in Tier 1 cost $15, the next 30,000 gallons in Tier 2 cost $22.50, and the remaining 12,000 gallons in Tier 3 cost $27.00 (12,000 gallons at $2.25 per 1,000 gallons). The sum of the three tiers is $64.50 for the 72,000 gallons of water purchased during the one year period November to November.
Water Rate per Gallon Annually
|Tier #||For gallons of water in the range of||Cost per 1,000 gallons||Maximum cost for all 30,00 gallons in tier|
|1||0 to 30,000||$0.50||$15.00|
|2||30,001 to 60,000||$0.75||$22.50|
|3||60,001 to 90,000||$2.25||$67.50|
|4||90,001 to 120,000||$2.50||$75.00|
|5||120,001 to 150,000||$8.50||$255.00|
|6||150,001 to 180,000||$9.50||$285.00|
|7||180,001 to 210,000||$10.50||$315.00|
|8||210,001 to 240,000||$11.50||$345.00|
|9||240,001 to 270,000||$12.50||$375.00|
|10||270,001 to no maximum||$13.50|
This pricing structure is referred to as Increasing Block Rates or Tiered Pricing and promotes conservation of resources and reduced water use by increasing the per-unit charges for water as the amount used increases. The first block is charged at one rate, the next block is charged at a higher rate, and so forth. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection has established a goal for residential water use of 65 gallons per capita per day (gpcd) on average. The above table differentiates between lower priced domestic water use (tiers 1-4) and substantially higher priced excessive water usage (tiers 5-10) to encourage conservation following the recommendations and policies of DEP.
Water District Tax
All Lynnfield residential and commercial property owners located within the bounds of the Lynnfield Center Water District are assessed a Water District Tax based upon the value of their property whether or not they are connected to and obtain water from the distribution system.
The District contracts the Town of Lynnfield, the Lynnfield Board of Assessors, and the Lynnfield Tax Collector to assess and collect the Water District Tax, which is listed as a separate line item on the property tax bill received from the Town of Lynnfield. The tax rate is set by the Board of Assesors based upon the total valuation of the property within the District and the appropriations approved by the voters of the District at the Annual Meeting.
Fees are charged for various services provided to customers by the District:
- Turn off or turn on water service to property at gate valve – $50.00 each
- Final meter reading and water bill for change in ownership $50.00 (see “Moving” page)
- Replace water meter if damaged by property owner or due to negligence – cost of replacement meter